Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Newsflash: Eclipse is bloody slow

It's probably not news to anyone who has ever used Eclipse, and I've been aware of the fact since I started working with Eclipse as my IDE in 2006. However, right now, on this admittedly rubbish machine (PIII 1ghz, half a gig RAM, running Opera as well with a million tabs open which takes up 80-100 megs), it took about 90 seconds to get from clicking the "Find and install..." menu option in "Help->Software updates" to displaying the "Install/Update" dialogue box. It doesn't seem necessary to do a lot of work to get there, since that dialogue simply contains a radio button choice between updating currently installed features and looking for new ones.
What's going on here? I know Java can be slow and Eclipse uses a fair bit of memory so I'm probably swapping to disk like a king, but it still seems excessive.

No comments:

Post a Comment